Re: [IRCA] Where were you on 22 November 1963?

Re: [IRCA] Where were you on 22 November 1963?

It is interesting to read the reports on where people were. Living in
Alaska in the 60s, we felt like we lived in the 3rd World nation in many
regards. For one thing, the outcome of the election for the President
was known long before our polls closed. My mother used to always mention
that. Living in Alaska, being so far from Washington D.C., we never
really "connected" to the rest of the US all that much. I remember
getting home from school and hearing about it. I am not even sure we had
TV then. In the mid 60s sometime, a TV tech put up a translator 18 miles
North of Seward and relayed KENI 2 (ABC/NBC) out of Anchorage running 10
watts on Ch 9. We would have decent TV when there was no snow storm, but
that was it. Before that, no TV for years. KENI-2 I think ran like 5 KW
V and 2 KW audio in those days. Not much power as I remember. But even
in the 7th or 8th Grade, it did not have the impact on me that it did in
the South 48. It was sad I remember, as my parents voted for Kennedy and
they liked him. Alaska was different in those days. I remember we
studied Alaska History, not so much US History. We sang "Alaska's Flag"
in class rather than SSB. In 1955 when we first went to Alaska, it was
not even a state. But we were not all that connected with the rest.
Hawaii in many ways in like that too.

73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin