[IRCA] TP's east of the Rockies

I know that telling stuff from 'way back when' doesn't help any with respect to how to hear something in this day and age.

Though, logic tells me that if signals propagated from the Pacific to the eastern United States 'back in the day', they still do the same thing today.  Write off any stations on domestic channels as there are too many stations that don't go off the air anymore.  Splits are another matter.  Obviously, darkness between point A and point B is necessary so a tool such as GeoClock is very helpful.  Knowing who the stronger stations are that are regularly heard on the west coast would also be helpful.  Also, conditions would have to be above average.  A very sensitive and selective receiver would be essential.   A beverage antenna favoring the Pacific would be ideal, though I'd imagine a good loop might do the trick.  If signals are propagating then the possibility of hearing one on a split frequency is there.

With all that said, the only Paciffic station I ever heard was KORL when they were on 650 khz and that was on a Monday morning when 650 khz was pretty much totally clear.  I heard KORL one time only.

There was another frequency that quite a few people this side of the Rockies heard an Australian on and that was 1550 khz on Monday mornings.  1550 was really cool on Monday mornings.  WCKY in Cincinnatti would go off around midnight leaving KKHI in San Francisco just about all by itself.  A few people, back then, heard 4QD in Emerald, Australia on 1550 after KKHI signed off.  I used to hear KKHI up until they signed off around 3 am, though, I never heard 4QD but the possibility was always there.

I had a friend back in the 1960's named Jerry Conrad who had lived in both Kentucky and Florida.  I think Jerry had a beverage in Florida and I know for a fact that he used to hear stuff from down under.

My 2 cents worth.

Jim Nall
http://www.n4fxc.com