[IRCA] An Average Low Band Morning: TPs from Orcas Is. 28 October

[IRCA] An Average Low Band Morning: TPs from Orcas Is. 28 October

Friends,

With the solar numbers looking pretty good, I was up two hours before
band fade. The first hour, before the pre-dawn "pause" continues to
be very interesting/productive.  I've never found this period
particularly good before. I wonder if the bottom of the solar cycle
is giving us this period, or if it has always been there and I just
missed it.  Nick, does your propagation monitoring record give any
insight into that???  I'd say that 3 morning out of four, I'm finding
TP reception at almost equal to dawn enhancement levels, on average,
and on some signals, ONLY hearing them well in this early period.

In general, I'd call this morning an "average" Asian morning, with a
bias toward the mainland.... I seem to remember the same bias
becoming more common late in the fall season last year, too. Seasonality????

There were several interesting frequencies, especially early: The
radio was tuned to 1062 when I turned it on and something in a
non-East Asian language was coming in well. It was probably Tagalog,
but I turned the recorder on and experienced that famous fade that
often accompanies stating the recorder.... so. On my first sweep up
the dial, 837 was in Standard Chinese. I tried paralleling it with
CNR1 on 5030....There is a CNR1 transmitter on 837 in far south
China...It "may" have been parallel with a major satellite delay...
or maybe it wasn't parallel at all. It soon faded precipitously, of
course.  Later in the morning 837 was the NHK1 in presumed Niigata.
891 was Thailand early, at the same time as the CC on 837, so....
I've been enjoying following the seemingly massive new North Korean
on 873. For several days, the usually strong N.K. has just been
putting a growl on 873 NHK-2 Kumamoto.  Yesterday, it was not there
at all, despite hearing plenty of other Koreans.  Today, Kumamoto was
almost smothered by the funniest growl/howl that I've ever heard....
and on the Winradio Spectrum Scope, the signal looked like an
asymmetrical HulaHoop!!!  Durndest thing that I've ever seen. I'd not
want to be in the shoes of the NK station manager or chief engineer.
Wonderful Leader may eventually take a dim view of alla these shenanigans!

The new Hindi station in nearby Vancouver on 1200 was testing until
1500 UTC..... Just blows a total hole in the spectrum!!!  Absolutely
impossible to see/hear even a bit of a het on either 1197 (about my
favorite JJ station) or 1206.  POO! I thought that the Canadians were
"smart" enough to all migrate to FM???  Geez, next they will adopt
IBOC! DARN IT!  At 1500, they left the air and, suddenly, there were
1197 and 1206, both in modest audio, just as pretty as you'd please. DARN IT!

Several stations were at rather stunning levels either right at dawn
or 10 or so minutes after dawn. 963, the CNR Russian Service, was
absolutely rock steady with not even any band noise... running at
S-9... right at dawn.  Amazing.  CNR1 on 945 and 1377 were equally
strong, blasting in about 1510 or so.

Oh, also, for a while this morning, during dawn enhancement, a CC
station was completely dominating the huge NHK2 on 774. Wow.... I did
not ID the station... twas probably Beijing.

Very surprised to note that nothing made it to Bill Brock in Prescott.

John B.