[IRCA] Sony ICD-P320 Digital Voice Recorder

[IRCA] Sony ICD-P320 Digital Voice Recorder

After reading various postings concerning digital voice recorders, I did some
Google research and found one that looked like what I needed.

Most of the digital voice recorders out there do not have a means of getting
the recording off of the recorder and onto a PC for use in station reporting.

I found a Sony ICD-P320 that uses "Digital Voice Editor 2" software and a USB
patch cord that connects the recorder to the PC.

There is no "Line In" jack, only a "Mic" jack.  That should have been a red
flag that there may be problems ahead, but I didn't pay attention to my gut
feelings.

I'm afraid that I have purchased something that has turned out to be a "dud."

First, if I use a shielded mono patch cord from the headphone jack of the
radio to the "mic" input on the recorder, I obviously can't monitor what's
going on, radio-wise.  I would need to use an adapter with 2 mono outputs -
one for the patch cord, the other for my headphones (which would need another
adapter - stereo to mono).

Next, I have to turn the radio's volume down to practically nothing so that
the recording doesn't splatter and distort.  This means I have to strain to
hear what's going on through my headphones.

If I'm using a radio with a separate "Line Out" jack, that should work, right?
 Nope - the recording still splatters and distorts.

Using the software, the only non-proprietary format I can save the recording
to is WMV.  No MP3, no WMA, only WMV.  The WMV files are huge!  I recorded a 2
minute segment of classical music from our local PBS FM station.  The smallest
WMV was 5.3 MB, the largest was 30.2 MB.

Ugh!

Anybody have any helpful advice out there?  I hope I haven't wasted $70 on a
recorder that I can't use ...

Thanks!!

--
Stephen Ponder N5WBI