[IRCA] GOODIES from Grayland: Oct 3

Friends

Fellas,

It was another excellent morning at Grayland and almost a twin of
Monday morning.  I noted almost all of the logged stations from
yesterday, some at considerably better levels. With dawn at 1420, I
was at the dials at 1120, with the early audio being mostly from JJs
once again and rather steady. That sort of lasted for 90 minutes with
the KKs and CCs slowly coming up to join the JJs. Then about 90
minutes before dawn like yesterday, things seemed to go kind of
stale, with most of the stations still there, but with the levels
noticeably down.  Then at 60 minutes before dawn.... more or less
"first light," the band was really alive and we were off to the races.

I've pretty-well identified my 1215 Hummer as the CNR-7 station that
we've heard from Grayland a few times before.  It tends to be in
earlier than the more northerly CCs and its carrier has a unique
triple peak.  When I first tuned it in this AM, it was in really well
and I could hear the hummmmmm on the audio. It also appears that I
was wrong in my guess on the 702 hi offset signal.  I've heard it for
two mornings now in very low audio and its not Sydney, but definitely
an East Asian signal, though I haven't even IDed the language.

New this morning: Several regional CC stations including a presumed
Henan Satellite station on 657USB.  Thanks to the scope on the
WiNRADiO 313, I noticed a second carrier right beside the pest North
Korean that is always on 657 low.  Kicked into USB and had standard
CC in the clear for about ten minutes.  Gonna send a tentative
report, for sure.... and I ought to send a Thank You note to the
dummy in charge of tuning that North Korean transmitter.  Hope that
he is not in charge of the nuclear test!

The big catch of the morning, though, was presumed DXGM, Davao City,
Philippines on 1125. Caught it around 1445, well after sunrise with a
guy talking in presumed Tagalog with a healthy mixture of EE for
numbers and difficult words. For instance "dandelion extract!" He
mentioned Davao City twice, so that is the reason to presume this one
rather than the other three.  Why this one is so special is that we
always have a much harder time hearing Filipinos at Grayland than
Patrick Martin, less than 100 miles to our south.... and he has been
lamenting their absence down there this year.  I've been particularly
unlucky with Filipinos, not getting more than a tentative on 1062
(the most common) a time or two in the past decade. So, this one is
really special to me, QSL or not.  Patrick or anyone else.... any
hints on QSLing this baby???

That's about it.... If these are poor conditions, the big DXpedition
coming in here on Thursday evening is gonna be in "tall cotton."

Coming back from Aberdeen yesterday, I spotted a "Free WiFi" sign at
Brady's Oyster Company just to the right as you cross the last bridge
onto the Westport/Grayland peninsula.  I'm gonna go see if they are
still open and will let me surf for buying a few oysters. Half shell,
anyone.... hey with enough Tabasco, I can eat anything!

Gosh this is fun!!!

John B.