[IRCA] balcony antenna

Quoting vroomski@xxxxxxxxxxx:

...  A nice balcony antenna
 > would be the High Performance active whip.  The whip could be 28" and the
 > control box could be easily hidden.  The active whip has so much gain and in
 > a urban area 28" is about all that can be used.  In the country 36" is OK.

Might have missed some of the mailings here, but I've often found that active
whips can pick up the local electrical noise level very well.   The Wellbrook
ALA100 active loop seems to be rather quiet in comparison, and the loop can be
quite close to metal without ill effect. I've used wire wrap wire for
the loop,
which is nearly invisible.  There's an IRCA Technical Column on this (don't
have the date at the top of my mind, but it's IRCA Reprint A164, and in A
DXer's Technical Guide....shameless plug for both the reprints and the guide).

Contact me off list, Eric, if you want to test drive one of these
antennas.  In fact, if you're still in
Vancouver, do it before about 9AM Saturday, and I might be able to
deliver it personally this weekend!

best wishes,

Nick