From: irca-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:irca-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of n2su
Sent: Tuesday, September 19, 2006 4:28 PM
To: Mailing list for the International Radio Club of America
Subject: Re: [IRCA] Star Roamer to Solid State

>OK ... traveling down memory lane, my first "real" receiver was a
>Hallicrafters S-120 that my parents bought me in 1965. I remember my
>dad having real doubts, thinking that the whole radio thing was just
>another passing whim. That was Christmas of 1965. The radio (sadly) is
>gone, but the hobby is still with me. I was never much good with kit
>building, and like many of us, had to have someone who knew what they
>were doing fix the few kits I tried  to build and botched up. I am fear
>I am and always have been an appliance operator.
>
>Jim Pogue/KH2AR
>Memphis, TN

My first SW radio was an S-120 that my parents got for me at Christmas 1968.
I still have it, but haven't fired it up in over 30 years.

Speaking of Star Roamer, a cousin of mine built one around 1966 and he would
take it to our grandmother's house out in the country and put up a wire and
we'd listen to the propaganda broadcasts late at night. It got me interested
in radio as a hobby starting out with MW, then SW, then ham radio in 1971.

The most important thing is that you enjoy the hobby on your own terms. In
other words, be true to yourself.

Bob (Anthony) Antoniuk N2SU
Clifton NJ