[IRCA] DXers as failed hams ( was Re: Semi-OT, maybe not - Poll question)

[IRCA] DXers as failed hams ( was Re: Semi-OT, maybe not - Poll question)

> I have been SWL/DXing since 1971 -- In 1973 I studied
> for the Canadian Amateur ticket (while attending the
> occasional local Ham radio club meetings) and found
> the attitude of some of the young, newer Hams quite
> off-putting. Their attitude was pretty much: "You are
> either a Ham or a CBer.
> SWL/DXers are either failed hams or people that just
> do not have what it takes to be hams."

Back in the 1970s and early 80s, particularly during my ODXA heyday, I ran
into that mindset countless time of hams being the creme de la creme of the
radio hobby, and that DXers are either failed hams or don't have what it
takes to become hams.  I even heard some hams say "at least you're not a
CBer".

I have never been interested in amateur radio and have no desire to obtain a
ham ticket.  Yes, I know hams provide invaluable service in times of
emergency, but in these days of e-mail, instant messaging and
voice-over-internet protocols, the attraction of communicating in real-time
with people around the world is kind of wearing off.  Is it any wonder that
many ham operators are aged between 60 and death?

73

Mike Brooker
Toronto, ON