Re: [IRCA] 1560 Radio Disney New York, WQEW?

Re: [IRCA] 1560 Radio Disney New York, WQEW?

Hi, there was another small network out of Seattle called kid star, but
that fell under, and if anything, radio disney brings back, in other
forms, the old top 40 stations approach, when A M is a waste land of
talk stations, and personally, I think I would have liked a kids
oriented station when I was 7 or 8, and remember, that there are no
longer any requirements for public affairs programs, so you probably
wouldn't hear any christian public affairs programing on Sunday
morning.  I'll admit, I can do without the nursery rhyme stuff, but
they aren't being disrespectful to the christian community in any way.

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 14:18:06 -0700 (PDT), Russ Edmunds wrote:

--- Scott Fybush <scott@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> As for the animosity that many DXers have towards Radio Disney, I
> have
> to say that I don't get it at all. Maybe it has something to do with
> having a 3-year-old of my own, but the way I see it, Radio Disney has
> taken some fairly marginal AM facilities in a lot of communities and
> at
> least kept them active with current music. The production values are
> very high, and the signals do get promoted locally, with everything
> from
> billboards to bus cards to remote appearances. If we had a local
> Disney
> affiliate here in Rochester (we don't), I'd have no problem letting
> Ari listen to it.
>
> If AM is to have any hope of having an audience 20 years down the
> road,
> it seems to me we should welcome anything that draws young audiences
> that side of the dial...and if there's anything out there other than
> Disney that's doing that, I'm not hearing it.

*** I would have no problem letting my grandson listen to it either,
but that's kinda beside the point. I continue to be astounded by
hearing adults say that they don't mind it although I guess they're
listening with their kids. I know I can't take more than 10-15 minutes
of it when trying to DX through or around it.

The appeal of RD is a rather narrow age group I would think. I can't
imagine kids much over 10 listening to it, and many under about 5
aren't really interested in music yet either, so if it's going to
somehow help AM down the road, somebody better figure out how to hold
them longer.

Finally, a lot of their music isn't current, rather it's covers of
1980's and 90's hits which today's kids have no knowledge of, but maybe
at that age that doesn't matter either....

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA  ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]
40:08:45N; 75:16:04W, Grid FN20ID