Re: [IRCA] Ground Rods

To all that asked for a description.

You need the pictures. As what I did is somewhat different than the book.

Use a 8' steel rod, the type that you find used at mobile home site and
contruction sites. You can get this at Lowe's. I got mine at Pay Less Cash
Ways in Garland, TX.
Dig a hole at lease 6' foot deep. The rod can stick out of the ground about
a foot. I then mixed the rock salt, magnesium sulphate and the dirt taken
from the hole, in a wheel barrel. As I put all this into the hole around the
rod I keep it wet. Use a good clamp on the rod and good heavy wire for the
lead into the house. I used #10 size wire.

It took 100 lbs of rock salt and 5 lbs of magnesium sulphate I bought at Ace
hardwire.
Keep this wet through out the year. You could use copper sulphate in place
of the
magnesium sulphate. In this rotten dirt we have here, this works almost as
good as the ground I had on Sullivans Island, SC. This was in sand and salt
water, with the Intercoastal water way just back our house in 1967. It was a
mash land.

I have my ground hidden in the bushes outside the radio room. This ground
hgas a little bit of work to it, but well worth the trouble.

This is the basic idea of the ARRL antenna for 1974. I also believe that it
is in the 1964 handbook. The old handbooks are so much better than these
modern 'telephone books' of today.

73's

Willis