Re: [IRCA] TPs in the East

On Monday 11 September 2006 00:43, Chuck Hutton wrote:
> Barry:
>
> Here's my idea of what you likely were receiving. That's a very impressive
> list of TP signals from your neck of the woods.
>
> MIA: all the big gun Japanese signals like 594, 693, 774, etc.
>

> Chuck
>
> 612    Australia very likely - strong here
> 657    Likely NZ but NK is possible - sometimes good
> 702    Australia is likely - sometimes strong
> 738    Australia is likely - sometimes good
> 756    NZ likely - sometimes good
> 792    Australia likely - can be strong
> 819    Likely NZ which can be good but maybe NK
> 873    Normally Japan but Aus likely for you
> 882    Not much is heard here. NZ, Japan and NK sometimes heard.
> 909    Likely NZ - often fair but not strong
> 927    Occasionally weak Aus - very surprising frequency
> 936    Aus likely
> 945    Puzzling, normally China here with only occasional DU
> 954    Japan but occasionally Aus - a bit surprising
> 1035   NZ - regular
> 1071   Puzzling, normally Japan with 1 or 2 Aus receptions
> 1116   Aus sometimes strong
> 1503   NZ regular but not strong
> 1512   Normally Aus but not strong
> 1521   Odd. Only 1 Aus log by the Grayland crew. Not-so-powerful Japan is
> normal
> 1539   Another odd one. China-Japan-Taiwan are heard here, none have great
> signals.
> 1548   Aus
> 1566   Assume you had HLAZ - the only case here where it seems likely you
> had a TP although this could be the 5 kw Aussie we hear often.
> 1593   Strange. Of the dozens of Grayland logs on this freq, there's 1 from
> Aus and 1 from NZ. Neither of those has any real power. Dunno what this
> was.

Thanks for the interesting analysis!  I agree that it appears I was not
getting any northern TP signals - although I was skipping through the
channels rather quickly, it's unlikely that I would miss all of the big JJ
signals.  And it's entirely possible that my 1566 was not HLAZ, despite the
apparent carrier frequency match-up.  I should also mention that some
channels that would likely otherwise appear in my list are MIA due to local
signals or local narrowband noise sources (you've heard some of those in my
LA recordings, and they're worse than ever!)... one example is 1098, which
was completely blotto here at the time.

Barry

--
Barry McLarnon  VE3JF  Ottawa, ON