[IRCA] EXOTIC Recording DX & CD Recording

[IRCA] EXOTIC Recording DX & CD Recording

Some interesting threads on both topics... here's my 2 1/2 cents worth:

a) CASSETTE
I still use them, especially for SLEEP-DX.  I have used both a mic and a
patch-cord from the DX-440.  If using the mic, place it less than an inch
from the speaker and test the play back of the cassette for any distortion.
Of course a patch-cord works better, so a headset is used via a dual
plug-out.  (No rocket science here.)  I like the cassette set up because it
allows SLEEP DX and both the recorders and DX-440 have automatic shut-offs.

b) CASSETTE RECORDERS
I use both a mono $19 el-cheapo or a Stereo Cassette Deck for more EXOTIC
DX(below).

c) TIME STAMP
I begin all recordings with a WWV time stamp and then switch over to the
freq right on the tone.

d) EDITOR
Because I edit music and sound bites, I already have and use Music Center
Pro Editor which allows 16 audio tracks, meaning I can store more than one
recording until I get around to editing it down.

e) EDITING
Tell the truth folks - how many of you have sent a long one-track recording
as a DX report?
I try and put myself into the shoes of the one who has to listen to the
final CD - so I edit the long hour and a half (both sides of the cassette)
into segments that begin with significant sound bites: IDs, commercials, or
fade-ins.  One dx report/recording had a dozen tracks all begining with IDs
at different reception levels - you could jump through this CD by advancing
to the beginning of each track (like some of us do when we get a brand new
music CD and wonder if there is anything worth listening to-which makes one
wonder why we purchased it in the first place.)

f) .WAV and .MP3
Once edited, each segment is exported out from the editor as wav files.
These are burned to the CD to send (as cda files).  Then they are converted
to MP3 for my personal archive-and I archive these mp3 files as "data" to a
data disc.  The .wav files are then erased for computer space.  Last years
DX recordings were archived to a data disc and contain just under 12 3/4
hours from 13 stations segmented into 282 tracks.

g) EXOTIC DX
Using the Stereo Cassette Deck (with built in level meters) I will patch the
DX-440 into one stereo channel, and another receiver (S-350) into the other
- and phase the two receivers 90 degrees to each other.  The two channels
are input into the mixer on two seperate tracks.  This allows three
advantages: 1. Two stations recorded simultaniously 2. I can make a stereo
wav/mp3 3. I can also make a mono wav/mp3 of either or.

I invite anyone to try this and listen back with stereo headsets - the sound
is SPECTACULAR.  Back in March 2005, 1520 had four signals making an
interesting symphony - WWKB in the left channel, WTRI in the right, and WIZZ
with Saudi-het right up the middle, each fading in and out.  I sent the
station both the stereo and mono recordings.  In another case, a busy freq
netted six station IDs - in a stereo effect.  Let me know if anyone has
experimented with this also.

h) SAMPLES
I can send you a copy of the mp3s if you'd like to get a sampling of what
this sounds like (just give me some time-I check in here about once a week.)

73s
Konnie
Connecticut