Re: [IRCA] India to Illinois on 1566

Bob:

I don't know about the LF data you mentioned, but there's been a bit of work
on 160 meters by people with handfuls of Beverages. Tom Rauch (W8JI) and
Bill Tippett (W4 someothing or another) come to mind first. Also Carl
Luteschweig (present or former CQ Propagation editor, name badly mangled no
doubt), K9 something or another. It seems to be frequent that signals coming
overthe pole or hitting the auroral zones are badly skewed. High latitude
east coast to Europe paths show the signals arriving from (more or less)
easterly directions rather than the expected NE or NNE.

But I have my doubts in this case. The reception was at 2035 CDT. Geoclock
shows me that sunrise at Nagpur was 0544 local time (0014 GMT, 1914 CDT).
That's 1 hour and 21 minutes before the reception. I have heard many TA's
and TP's an hour or two after the relevant sunrise, but that happens with
powerful signals (like Korea 1566 or West Germany 1586) and what was an
S9+30 signal was then an S8 signal so long after sunrise. There's just no
way to escape that D layer attenuation at the sunrise side of the path.

I'm also thinking about the part of the reception where he talked about
Brazil on 1570. That ain't gonna happen anywhere in NA except Newfoundland.
Frankly, I wonder if this guy is doing some wishful thinking. As for the
"details", I couldn't even call them details. For all that was described, it
could have been a test of the supposed-to-be-on-the-air-soon Gabon 1566
superpower transmitter.

As for the part about limited options for MW direction finding, I'd say MW
DXers are more loop-friendly than any other group and most understand that
you can do decent DF'ing on TA / TP paths. I continue to see 160 meter hams
that don't believe this is possible because "skywave propagation scrambles
things too much". It's the 160 meter crowd that is usually optionless in my
mind.

Chuck