Sent: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 9:55 PM
Subject: Re: [IRCA] 20 questions about annual DX conditions

At 14:08 18/07/2006, you wrote:
Hi All,
How consistant (by date) has the beginning of the DX season been through-out the years?

Patrick and Bill have given a very good snapshot of year by year conditions.  Bruce Portzer also did a good article some years ago based on loggings that clearly showed the sluggish DX returns in mid-winter for Asiatics and Down Unders (IRCA reprint T054; what you don't have the CD of IRCA reprints?  contact Lee right away...)

Years of low sunspot number, like right now, are most likely to deliver good high latitude conditions, and I wouldn't be surprised if the Asiatic big guns start showing in the Pacific Northwest in the next few weeks if we  can drag ourselves out of bed for sunrise.  There are carriers there already for the short period that we have a darkness path.   In high sunspot years, the first high latitude receptions seem to occur later in September, with receptions of Australia being more common in late August/early September.  And although low A-indices are not necessarily an indicator for good high latitude conditions, especially in midwinter,  they do give a hint of good conditions in the fall and spring.

When a geomagnetic storm kicks in, check for stations from the Pacific Islands, New Zealand and Australia, especially as the storm gets underway.   Unfortunately, as Patrick mentioned, down under signals ain't what they used to be, and South Americans are very hard to find, though that lack is at least partly due to more domestic interference (remember the loggings of Argentina on 1620 before Atmore, AL signed on and wiped them out with its mighty 1 kw?)

good luck this season.

Nick