Re: [IRCA] Great Scott!! KGO 810 is testing IBOC!!!

Re: [IRCA] Great Scott!! KGO 810 is testing IBOC!!!

> I just tuned in to listen to KGO tonight at 0400 EDT 6/30 and found an
> open carrier on 810. I thought, gee they are off for a test, but when I
> went from the Super Radio to the R8, and found S9+15 DB hash on 800 &
> 820. You can hear KGNW -820 & Penticton BC on 800, but the hash it there
> loud and clear. KGO will own 800/810/820 at night up and down the West
> Coast with their powerhouse signal and hash on 800/820.
> Not good news at all, even though I do enjoy the talk on KGO. They do
> not need IBOC.

When there was a report of WCBS-880 dropping IBOC, I thought I check to see
if co-located WFAN-660 did likewise.  No such luck.  Hiss still annoys the
650 station near Boston.

I was in a Best Buy locally last week.  I made a point of tracking down a
sales rep and asking about HD Radio.  After I told him I worked in radio,
and said I was merely curious about overall sales, he said they had never
sold one.  He was familiar with it, which was good.  The only radio that
they had was an "HD Ready" Kenwood.  They didn't stock the adapter, however.

And that's all I'll have to say about IBOC for right now.  We don't need
another "bash NRC" type discussion to take over the list.  (grin!)

Craig Healy
Providence, RI

... I am glad I'm here and not..'somewhere else'.