Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 10:32:59 -0400
From: "Craig Healy" <bubba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [IRCA] Thanks, IRCA!
To: "IRCA List" <irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I am glad I'm here and not..'somewhere else'.

Recently a post was made on a DX corporation site that castigated a bunch of
people. It appeared to include me and a number of others on this list.  A
minor quote to put this in context: "..if I offended certain individuals, I
meant to..".  There was a notation that the post was approved by management.

A very questionable PR move to have it on their site.  Why open up wounds
that are attempting to heal?

Some reply to their counterproductive rant is necessary, lest people
mistakenly think there is some truth to it.

All this is because we advised against some actions, including creation of a
forum-type page.  I had run one for a couple of years on my site, and it
never really took off.  This was due pretty much to the fact that it's
rather inconvenient.  It's also unstable software at times.  Mine crashed,
theirs did too.  Been there, done that.  But, they pushed ahead and learned
for themselves.

OK, My curiousity was piqued.  In their members' list it shows how many
messages each person has posted, and the percentage of the total message
count
that it is.  Accurate as to a day or so ago.  Top three:

P. S.   49.05%
F. V.   16.77%
B. C.   10.60%

The biggest poster has almost half of the content, probably 300 or so
of the 625 total messages.  It's not a forum, it's a blog by the same
grouchy person quoted above.

The *vast* majority of members are listed with zero percent.  Never
posted even one message.

These are all facts culled directly from the public areas of their site.
If these facts are in error, it's because the source was corrupt.

If anyone is offended by this, or contests the accuracy of the facts,
I would hope they would complain directly to me offlist, rather than
chicken out and bother the moderators here.  This was not pre-approved by
these moderators, so there's no need for anyone to hide behind them.
Leave them alone.  Complain to me directly.

In my years of running a FIDO BBS and moderating some of those echoes, it's
plain that there is a critical mass of writers needed to sustain a viable
echo (or forum).  Fall below that number and it dries up *very* quickly.
Sure, a moderator can post a lot to cover it up and artificially pump the
traffic. By that time it's already dead. Why would anyone would buy "dead"?

I am very happy that IRCA exists.  There seems to be a harmony here which
is refreshing.  There is also an activity level which is stimulating. I am
very glad to be here.  It is also evident that the reasons for the genesis
of IRCA in 1963 is still very much with us, which is sad. Don't they
*ever* learn?

Thanks!

Craig Healy
Providence, RI