Re: [IRCA] WXNH 540

Wendell has three AM apps pending in New England, of which this one seems
farthest along. He also has an app for 650 in Rayond ME, which is MX with
Alex Langer's application to substantially upgrade WSRO currently licensed
to Ashland MA. (The upgrade app involves a COL change to Lexington MA with
six-tower array in Wrentham MA--almost in Rhode Island! That one appears to
need 60 acres. With land prices in Greater Boston what they are, anybody
want to bet on that being built???) Wendell has a third application for 870
elsewhere in NH. Don't know the status of that one but it seems to me that
that one would be hard pressed not to involve prohibited overlap with 870 in
Gorham ME.

Wendell has a long history of applying for but never building low-frequency
directional AMs. I think his WKNJ 550 along the Rockland County NY/Bergen
County NJ border must have been on the FCC's books for 20 years. The FCC
finally pulled the CP five or so years ago for failure to build. (There were
LOTS of objections.) I don't think WXNH is likely to get any further than
WKNJ did. I can't believe that WGOP in MD won't receive seious nighttime
interference from WXNH. Also, the grant of WXNH appears to depend on WLIE
actually building its latest CP, which will change its class from B to D. As
a class B, WLIE would appear to receive objectionable nighttime interference
from WXNH. Wendell might be able to fix that problem by adding two towers in
Fitzwilliam. Currently his proposal calls for using the same three towers
day and night; signal goes mostly northeast by day and southwest by night.
If he changed the night pattern to send most signal southeast, he could
protect both WLIE and WGOP. However, that would require having only one
tower in common between the day and night arrays

--
Dan Strassberg, dan.strassberg@xxxxxxx
eFax 707-215-6367