Re: [IRCA] Bogdan in April's Monitoring Times - Venezuela

Re: [IRCA] Bogdan in April's Monitoring Times - Venezuela

> > Actually, a lot of Americans visit Cuba. They fly in via Mexico,
Canada and
> > the Caribbean, and the Cubans don't stamp their passport. They
kindly insert
> > a piece of paper in your passport, stamp it, and remove it when you
leave. I
> > know there are Canadian travel companies that specialize in
arranging trips
> > for Americans.
> >
> > No muss, no fuss. The Cubans are very happy to do this.

> Yup - tons of American doctors do this as well -- effortlessly.
> I have an average of one dozen or so friends a year that head
> to Cuba and they always bring, at least, a hockey bag full
> of basic medical supplies and odd things like blue jeans
> and t-shirts.
>
> Colin

Aren't these licensed trips? You did say "doctors".

I should mention, there _are_  licenses from the treasury
department for things such as humanitarian, journalists,
medical, trade deals. Such people do, in fact, travel
to Cuba from the US. The last mayor of Tampa (Dick
Greco) went there, in fact, as part of a trade delegation
just a few years ago. I know a woman from around
here who has been there three times with a church group,
in the past several years. It is not clear if she will be
able to go again, since last year's policy changes.

This is how you get to see Andrea Mitchell etc. reporting
from the Malecon for NBC.

I am speaking strictly of tourists. Legal tourism from
the US to Cuba AFAIK does not exist. The Bush admin
tightened these rules just last year. The idea is not to
spend any money there. The workaround used to be
that you would contribute to a third party group in
Canada or whatever, and then, they would "sponsor"
your trip and pay all your expenses. The government
here saw that as a loophole and moved to close it.
Maybe it still happens. I personally would not want to
test that. When OFAC learns of your trip, they will
levy a substantial fine, if you did not get the proper
license beforehand. At least that is what is publicized.

This is done to placate the powerful So. Fla.
voting block of Cuban background residents, who
consistently have been voting Republican, and
are violently anti-Castro. Yes, it is a schizo policy,
and I would do it differently.

Cuba has no problem with people from here, going
there, and they will be happy to take your Euro's.
(I think the dollar is now no longer used there in the
foreign-currency stores, which are off-limits to
the average Cuban citizen). The banning of travel
by _tourists_ is strictly on this end.

That's my understanding, and I read every article I
see about this topic.

Sorry to drone on about this at length, but the
stories of _doctors_ going there is not what I was
speaking of, (tourism) and it is a subtle distinction
that many might miss.

Finally, why do they need to bring "basic medical supplies"?
I thought the Cubans had the "best medical system
in the western hemisphere"?

Gotta keep this radio related - anyone else note the
re-appearance of a strong Progreso-640 recently and
care to speculate on the origin of this sudden new,
improved signal? (if you have read this far).

- Bob