Re: [IRCA] Bogdan in April's Monitoring Times - Venezuela

Re: [IRCA] Bogdan in April's Monitoring Times - Venezuela

This is why I added "realistically". Though I haven't done so, I
know of people who have done this. I _believe_ the cost of
the "permiso de viajar" (or whatever it is called, maybe permiso
de entrada) is $15 and that will be in USD, thankyouverymuch.
I understand you can buy it on arrival.

When Patty and I were in Montego Bay a few years ago, our
flight back to Orlando left from a gate and a departing
flight to Havana was at the adjacent gate. Yes, practically
speaking, it is easy to do.

The fact remains that OFAC, Treasury and a bunch of other
government types are on the lookout for US people doing this,
and they have the ability to make your life very uncomfortable.
The Caribbean is full of people happy to give you up, as well,
if they choose to do so...that would be my last choice.

The magazine Cigar Aficionado in 1999 had a very large
issue about how to go there (and smoke cigars), which
I still have. I would love to go there but I don't think
the risk-reward ratio is very good, and it is steadily
getting worse. That's just being practical.

Maybe hearing about it happens more down this way.

You have any first hand knowledge?

Bob Tampa

Chuck wrote,

> Actually, a lot of Americans visit Cuba. They fly in via Mexico,
Canada and