[IRCA] HD-DX

I recently bought a JVC KD-HDR1 IBOC receiver.  I sold my other JVC, and
almost the same day, one of my clients started asking my about some IBOC
issues.  (sigh)

Anyhow, I've decided to make the best of it.  This particular radio has a
very good analog receiver section.  Quite selective, and not easily
overloaded.  It also has a feature where it will scan for HD stations.  What
I've done is set it to scan the AM band to see if anyone leaves the HD on
after dark, or maybe some sunset skip reception.

I've coupled this with a recording program called AirCheck
http://www.zillenbiller.de that I use at a couple of clients.  This can be
set to start recording x number of seconds after it senses audio.  It also
can be set to only record certain times of day, or even days of the week.

Right now it's set to record after 8pm and quit at 5am EDT.  If the JVC
picks up anything, hopefully it will lock on that HD signal and AirCheck
will capture it.  What I don't know is if the thing will default back to
analog after it finds something.  I shall see.

The fallback on that is to park it on a likely frequency and in digital-only
mode.  I did that last night on 720 and did get a quick burst of WGN HD.
It's almost like meteor scatter reception on FM.  Just quick bursts of
audio.  I set it on WOR-710 the night before and got maybe two dozen short
hits.

Of course, all this can be unattended, which is great for me.

Initial results are that HD-DX is far harder than analog.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI