Re: [IRCA] WVBF 1530...

I went past Middleborough twice today, once at about 5:30am and again around
7:45pm.  In the morning it was at day power.  Skip was pretty much fading,
and they were dominant in the neighborhood.

I paid closer attention on the way home.  I tuned in about Exit 3 on I-495
and it was already clearly audible.  It was totally listenable up through
Exit 8, a span of maybe 15 miles, give or take.  By exit 9 it was about even
with WCKY and by Exit 10 it was pretty much buried.

There was a period of time before Exit 7 when they had a good length of dead
air.  I really couldn't hear anything underneath.  DFQ as the ham saying
goes.

I did a mental comparison to the coverage of nearby WBET-1460.  Frankly, I
think WVBF covered better than WBET's kilowatt - even with 'BET directional
toward my location.

In the past I have tuned past WVBF and found it essentially unlistenable.
Something is definitely different.

That does bring up a quandry.  WVBF carries the non-commercial Massachusetts
Reader Service.  Personally, I think that has more value locally than WCKY
programming.  Unless WCKY is getting trashied in an area of importance, I
would hope that this matter simply rests.  I'm not a fan of piracy, but
common sense seems to me to call for some discretion.

Anyhow, I'm not going to do anything about it.  When I run into the owner, I
will mention that the added coverage hasn't gone un-noticed.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI