Re: [IRCA] Radio Cultural Coatan 4780 kHz

Re: [IRCA] Radio Cultural Coatan 4780 kHz

Stephen Ponder mentioned finding R.Cultural Coatan blasting in; he said,
"I'm hoping the 60 Metre SW band will become as active as it was back in
the late 1970's!!"

Well, uh... do you mean propagation-wise, or the number of stations
actually USING the band?  If it's the latter, I wouldn't hold my breath
for it, unfortunately.  So many local stations that were formerly on the
tropical bands have simply abandoned their aging, hard-to-get-parts-for
shortwave transmitters and set up FM stations and networks. 60 meters
and 90 meters are like ghost towns these days. Of course, these are the
same broadcasters, particularly in Latin America, that have also largely
abandoned the AM broadcast band.  (When's the last time you logged, say,
El Salvador on the BCB? Or Guatemala, for that matter!) Then again, ALL
of shortwave is beginning to seem like a wasteland--at least if you want
to listen to something other than U.S.-based preachers (what's Glenn
Hauser's term for them, "Bible huxters"?).

Randy Stewart
Springfield MO