[IRCA] KCKN Test Heard in Ottawa

Given the late hour of the test for us easterners, I decided to rely on
timed recording.  I have a permanent setup for recording that runs every
night, grabbing 8 minute segments starting at :29 and :59 past the hour.
I set up to record some additional segments for the test intervals that
were scheduled near :15 and :40, nulled KDKA as best I could, and hit the
sack.  This morning I discovered that I'd screwed up the recording
settings, and none of those additional recordings had run at all... my
heart sank. :-(

Fortunately, all was not lost!  My regular BOH and TOH recordings were
still there, and at 0230 EDT I found some weak Morse IDs and sweeps.  And
it got better!  At 0329, strong sweeps followed by talk, and at 0331.45, a
nice KCKN voice ID before they returned to C&W music - "Kickin' (?)
Country's home, New Mexico's KCKN 10-20".  To top it off, I caught another
voice ID at 0400.  Yowzah!  Like Jim Renfrew and probably several others
in the east, my only previous NM catch had been KHAC-880 a few years ago
when WCBS was off, and that one didn't include a voice ID.

Aside from occasional C&W, oldies were frequently heard, with several
identifiable songs... I assume that this was unneeded KJJK-MN.  Reloj was
heard throughout the night, and after 0600 WKZE-CT made an appearance.

Thanks to all who made the test possible.  Now, if we could just get
something similar organized from Oregon!

Barry

--
Barry McLarnon VE3JF  Ottawa, ON