Re: [IRCA] DC Operation of General Coverage Receivers

Doug Pifer - KE6GMM wrote:
> I was thinking of using a car battery or two- or what ever makes it
> practical.

You might want to re-think the choice of a car battery for your 12 V
power source. Car batteries are not designed for deep-cycle use and in
as few as 12 full discharge cycles you'll have a shot battery. Grab a
good deep-cycle battery instead. They are designed for the type of
charge/discharge cycles you'll be using. Most of them have nice carrying
handles on them too.

I realize that you aren't going to be pulling a lot of power from the
battery with just your receiver, loop, and a few accessories, but if you
have to purchase the battery it might be lots cheaper in the long run to
get a battery designed for your application. The price differential is
almost negligible.

> The possible location or any location on the property for that
> matter, would be accessible to a long extension cord and batter charger- so
> that wouldn't be an issue.

You're probably not going to need to charge the battery during use. You
should have plenty of battery capacity for your listening sessions.

I used a setup similar to the one you're thinking about for years in a
very remote listening location in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, way way
off the grid. I charged the battery from the trailer connector charging
terminal on the pickup truck on my runs into town. I got many days of
use from a single charge.

Now talk about a low noise floor...

Rick Kunath