Re: [IRCA] WABC

Dennis,

Yes back in the 60s/70s, NYC stations were common. WCBS 880 was probably
the easiest, followed by WNBC-660, and when KOB was off on MMs I got
WABC. WBZ 1030 and WSB 750 were easy catches. WSM was common as well as
WHAS. Ah, the good old days. But no one was on the air on MMs either.
Most stations sign off at 12 AM local time for maintenance.  In the
early 70s, there was a period of time when 1400 was clear on MMs. The
nearest station on 1400 that was on MMs was Mansfield Ohio! I nabbed FL
on a DX test in 1971, WNUE during that period.
   Bill Block and I were just discussing that. We would get up early and
check stations in the East signing on a 2 AM, 3 AM, 4 AM PST, as it was
5,6, and 7 AM in the East. SSB's every morning and many of several
frequencies all signing on. Then after SSB "Good morning, this is Radio
Station W... in .......Could be Ohio, NY, NC, whereever. There was
nothing in the West on the air to QRM the stations on many frequencies.
I thought those days would go on forever. I was wondering, what if we
knew then what we know know about beverages, EWE antennas, phasing. What
would we have heard? Throw a wire out the window in those days and DX
rolled in. I just wish I would have been heavier into QSLing then. I
QSL'd but not as hard as I have since 1979.

73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin

Come to Seaside Oregon for the 2006 IRCA Convention! It will be held at
the Comfort Inn on September 22-24,2006.