From: irca-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:irca-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Mike Hardester
Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2006 8:42 PM
To: am@xxxxxxxxxxx; NRC AM List; IRCA
Subject: Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] Radio Recovery

At 01:49 PM 1/19/2006 -0600, Les Rayburn wrote:
>Does anyone know if FEMA set up (and possibly is still running)
>any of their Radio Recovery low powered AM transmitters within
>the area affected by Katrina?
>
>I seem to recall a fairly powerful station that was set up in Miami
>after Andrew that was well heard throughout the Eastern US.
>FEMA runs information for the refugees, news briefs, etc?

         This is from Terry L. Krueger's
(Tocobaga Publications) excellent website on low
power stations AM/FM in Florida

http://home.earthlink.net/~tocobagadx/flortis.html

>1610 (TIS) "Radio Recovery", Homestead; shortly
>after the devastating 8/24/92 passing of
>Hurricane Andrew, the US Army established this
>emergency TIS which remained active for several
>weeks, relaying info in English/Spanish/Kreyol
>and I believe a native Central American dialect
>for displaced residents. IDed as "Radio
>Recovery, the Voice of Task Force Andrew."
>Signal was ultimately heard on sunrise skip and
>nights throughout Florida and beyond. WINZ (940
>kHz) also briefly rebroadcast Radio Recovery
>tapes on 50 kW emergency authority power at
>night. While long inactive, it's certainly very
>likely a similar operation would appear in the
>event of a future natural disaster elsewhere.

Mike Hardester
Jacksonville, NC. (34.47 N - 77.23 W +/- a couple of nanoseconds)
ICOM R-70 - 2 x 75 foot (23 meter) random wires
Orientation: E/W and N/S
Quantum Phaser and Patience