Re: [IRCA] WBCA-1110 Cheating

As one DXers who will take the other side of what I hope won't become the
usual flame war when this topic has been discussed, I must comment. Last
night and many others provide a perfect illustration between "cheating" and
"malfunctioning".

As long as 10 years ago, WBCA was one of the first daytime only stations
that I observed to be habitually on at night. This wasn't every night, but
it was more than a few and more likely on Fri/Sat night when they might
expect more listeners. This wasn't a case of a station with a PSSA operating
at 500w maximum (most are lower power) for up to 2 hours after sunset, it
was a case of them operating on full power for at least several hours after
sunset and sometimes AN. WBCA was warned by the FCC and I believe fined at
least once and had been behaving most of the time for the last couple of
years. Was last night an unintentional mistake ?  If so then it is in the
same catagory with someone who has 3 DUI's and drives home with a B.A.C. of
.23 (almost 3 times most state's limit for DUI)

WNAX on the otherhand  and assuming they were on day pattern (noting they
are 5 KW day and night) is likely a case of malfunctioning. I don't see what
they have to gain by leaving day pattern on at night and strongly suspect
some kind of error that will be corrected shortly. Perhaps they have a
temporary STA to use only 1 stick due to a problem or need to work on the
antenna array ?

Anyhow, there is a big difference between the first time (basically) a
station is noted almost certainly on day pattern and one that has been on
night with 10 KW when it is supposed to sign off at sunset !

73 KAZ hoping this is his only comment on this issue, but expecting it won't
be.