[IRCA] IBOC sideband amplitude.

As a part of my radio routine, I check the four local IBOC stations to see
if they are on or off IBOC mode.  The process is to run a spectrum scan of
each, making it easy to see when the IBOC sidebands are there and when they
aren't.  Normally three of the four are operating in IBOC mode and one has
not been since June, '05.

Yesterday the spectrum scan showed that WWNN 1470 Pompano Beach, FL, had
reduced sidebands at noontime, which returned to normal by mid afternoon.

Is there a reduced sideband mode for normal -- or at least designed --
operation of IBOC?  Was this instead, some local operating situation which
is not normal?

I had seen this in the past but attributed it to daily reception
conditions.  I have been watching more closely lately and now know that is
not the case.  The most obvious indication of this is that the primary
analog signal is of normal amplitude, it is only the sidebands that are
reduced.

I added an image of the spectrum scan to my southeast Florida IBOC status
web site -- link below -- for comparison with the usual on and off
modes.  Look at the last three scans, which are for WWNN.

Any thoughts on this?

Curt

W. Curt Deegan
Boca Raton, (southeast) FL