Re: [IRCA] DXing Practices and Ethics Question

Re: [IRCA] DXing Practices and Ethics Question

> While there's nothing wrong with it, I guess, it is the easy way out.
No real
> skill is required to attempt an identification. You simply Google
"Djibouti
> National Radio" ... *click*, *click* and if the music matches, it's in
the log!

> In ham radio, you can use the landline, or an 'easy' band to arrange
your
> contact, but during the actual QSO, these need to be shut down.
>
> Sure it's nice to log a new one, but just playing a matching game
isn't much
> fun, in my opinion.
>

> :^]
>
> John Wilke K9RZZ

Back in the 80;s during my active ham DXing phase
I was hearing KL7AF (Kodiak Is. Alaska) on about
3510 kHz around 0200 est from Long Island NY.
He finished a QSO and moved off somewhere,
I could not find him. I tracked down his phone no
and called him, after about 10 minutes had passed,
He agreed by phone to return back to 3510 and sent a
short CQ. I answered him there and we had a nice short QSO.
He is my only confirmed AK on 80 meter CW, and yes,
we had cut off the phone call after just a few seconds
when I explained my request. Didn't seem too surprised,
either, so I guess it had been done with him before.

Hams do a lot of "list" operation which is like shooting
fish in a barrel, compared to this.

- Bob   k2euh