Re: [IRCA] VOTING DEADLINE

Hi, Patrick ...

One of my fond memories from high school days was a trip during the 1952-53 basketball season as I accompanied the Corvallis High basketball team for a Friday night game in Astoria and a Saturday night game in Seaside. I wasn't absolutely tied to the team, writing for the Corvallis Gazette-Times, so I had a lot of free time, more in Astoria than in Seaside. It was interesting to climb to the top of the Astor column for a great view of the mouth of the Columbia and to walk into a tuna packing plant and see all the frozen uncut fish stacked like cordwood in a frozen locker warehouse that I seem to remember was the size of a football field. I also took the ferry across the Columbia and back (before the bridge was built) just for the sake of having done in.

When I was even younger, I remember an overnight trip with my family, where we spent one night in a beachside cabin (before the cookie-cutter chain motel days) and my father obtained a bunch of razor clams and deep fried them on the stove in the cabin. Great eating, that I have repeated a couple of times when I've had a chance to get back to the Beaver State.

It's beautiful country. Of course, I've spent a lot of time in St. Louis when I lived for 30 years in Mt. Vernon, Illinois, and I recall a good time at an NRC convention in the St. Louis area. (I missed the one in 1969 -- I was still in Massachusetts.) We had a couple of good Midwest gatherings ... Eric Buenemann put one on in St. Louis and came to a couple I did in Mt. Vernon ... A St. Louis convention would be a good excuse to get back to Mt. Vernon .. so either would be fun. But the thought of Seaside makes me even more homesick!

The Krumudgeon