Re: [IRCA] [ABDX] Re: Got my Quantum Phaser today!

Re: [IRCA] [ABDX] Re: Got my Quantum Phaser today!

> Sometime after the holidays I am going to build two of Craig Healey's 5 '
> on a side square copper loops and space them about 90' apart aiming in
> opposite angles.

What I did with the two 5' loops I made was to make bases so they can be
placed however I want.  When you make them, be sure to make the two toroids
identical, especially in the way the windings are put on.  Then, as you put
them on the tubing, mark it so you can tell which is the same direction.
Mark an arbitrary front and back.  That way you can set them for either 0°
or 180° phase difference.

I'm still waiting for the Quantum phaser I ordered, but I have used them
briefly with the modified MFJ I have.  Seemed to work well spaced a couple
of hundred feet apart aimed in a line with both facing the same way.  I did
buy two DX Engineering preamps, but I haven't had time to set it all up to
test.  I'm waiting for the phaser to arrive and some snow to melt.

Also, when you build the toroids, I think the decoupling chokes per my last
pictures have merit in noise reduction.  It also seems to balance the
nulling over a non-choked version.  For a couple bucks worth of ferrite from
Radio Shack, it's worth it.

Let us know your results.  The Amidon FT-240-77 toroid works well.  I got
them from Travis LaDuke at 714-850-4660 for nine bucks each.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI