[IRCA] A 4 second DX test?

Many years ago (maybe in '80s), a DX friend of my called some stations in Alaska, asking if they would do a DX test. The response from KJNP-1170 was interesting. They said (back then) that they sent their call letters in code at the top of the hour, as requested (previously) by DXers. Think I read somewhere they don't do that anymore. But if any stations would do this, code is the next best thing to sweep tones, & 4 seconds shouldn't cause any tune-outs by their listeners.

But I probably would need sweep tones for a station as weak & QRMed as any Alaskan would be. On the WFIL-560 DX test, only sweep tones were heard & on the WNTP-990 test, sweep tones & unreadable code (at 12:04 EST). I got Radio Reloj on 950 a couple months ago, only the RR could be heard thru my local. Sure surprised me as the furthest heard on 950 with the local on. 73, George S., MN