Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] Notes on "Inventory Insert" DX - QSLs

Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] Notes on "Inventory Insert" DX - QSLs

I'm enjoying this topic on QSLs mostly because I think alot like Patrick. I
enjoy hearing stations but I think I enjoy receiving the QSL a little more.
I guess it's the challenge of hearing enough details for a report and then
the question of "will they answer." Like Patrick said, it's the complete
package. Without sending the station a letter it's one-way communication.

Since returning to the hobby in late 2003 I've noticed that QSLing has gone
through alot of changes since the 1970's and 1980's. You have to change with
the times. Still, my return rate is above 65% but it takes more follow up
letters and emails. Many stations still send out nice letters and write nice
comments on my prepared cards so some are still interested in us.

Yesterday I received a nice prepared postcard from KJOK-1400 Yuma AZ. I try
to use a postcard from the city that the station is in. Luckily I had picked
up a Yuma postcard on one of my trips to Arizona. I type out the card so
that all they need to do is sign it and put it in the mail. This has
increased by replies and the postcards look nice in the notebook.

The original topic was QSLs from DX Tests. Unfortunately I haven't had much
luck hearing the DX tests but the two I've heard did verify. It's
unfortunate that stations spend the time to do a test for us and then the
QSL end of it falls through. Maybe it takes a little more diplomacy on our
part to get the stations to answer us. Our attitude toward the broadcasters
directly affects how they think of us. This list is available to everyone
with internet access including station employees. The past negativity will
only come back on us.

Patrick, let us know when you make those trips. Maybe you can pick up a QSL
for me too!

Martin Foltz
Mission Viejo CA
QSL collector