[IRCA] Notes on "Inventory Insert" DX Tests

[IRCA] Notes on "Inventory Insert" DX Tests

The upcoming WAPI/WJOX DX Test will be our first practical
demonstration of a new format suggested by Fred Vobbe of
the National Radio Club last year.

Fred's idea was that more stations might be willing to conduct
DX tests if they did not require a change in overnight programming.
Instead, we would request the stations to run a :60 second long
DX test in one of their available "local" inventory slots.

With programs like "Coast to Coast" for example, the local
station is allowed a certain number of local spots to run during
the program. Stations often have a hard time selling the late night spots
and often run PSA's, station promos, etc. instead.

Fred's idea is to take advantage of that time, by having a station send
Morse Code IDs, sweep tones, etc. Since the test occurs on several
nights, instead of one, you also have a better chance at having good propagation
to the area at least one night.

WAPI/WJOX will run two of these :60 second long "mini-tests" each
hour, for three hours each night on three nights in a row. That means you'll have
18 chances to catch each station. Of course, they won't change their power
or antenna pattern!

I highly recommend recording the tests using software like Total Recorder. In
the case of WJOX, you'll need to record the entire time period for each
hour between :19 and :34 minutes past the hour, since the exact time
of the test isn't "fixed" but rather "floating". WJOX runs a sports talk
format, and is heavily automated.

It's also interesting to note that the station agreed to this test only during
the period of December 25-31st, since this is one of only two periods each
year where the station is not "rated". The other is the week of July 4th. This
allows for popular hosts to take vacations without an affect on the ratings
of their show.

If you're thinking about asking a station to help us out with a DX test, this
may be the best time to ask them. Hope we all enjoy this test, and I can't
wait to see how these type of test work out vs. the more familiar
full blown tests.

73 & Good DX,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
NRC/IRCA Broadcast Test Coordinator
Please call anytime 24/7 if your transmitter
will be off the air for maintenance.
(205) 253-4867