Re: [IRCA] Emaiing Audio Recordings

--- Doug Pifer - KE6GMM <oregon4wd@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Also, pardon my ignorance, but my cheapie audio converter says "wave
> sound" then also "MPEG Layer 3" - which I suppose is MP3.  I'm
> guessing that "wave sound" is'nt the samething as a "wave" file.

A Wave file has a suffix of .wav. It is an uncompressed audio file
which can be music or just a sound. MPEG Layer 3 is indeed mp3, which
is a compressed audio file. Depending on settings, ancobnverting a wave
file into an mp3 can reduce filesize by significant amounts. Too much
compression can impair fidelity however.

I always record in mp3, and have used that for numerous email reports
without incident -- all on DX Tests. Almost any computer is capable of
handling either.

As to the question of how big a file to send, that is limited by  the
email client you're using or the one the recipient is using.
The moist frequent limit I've run into is 2 meg, but I try to keep my
files down to a max of about 1.6 because when the file is imbedded in
the email it uses more space.

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA  ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]