[IRCA] Oregon Cliff (Rockwork 6) Ultralight DU's for 8-3 (Conclusion)

     It was true Kiwi Magic for a second straight session after 1300 this morning as New Zealand pounded in with some of its best propagation ever. Numerous obscure Kiwi stations came out of the noise to join the parade, which resulted in the best-ever signals for 594-Star and 738-Magic, and the best recent signal from 756-RNZ. Its parallel on 567 also managed its best signal since the classic tower demolition a few years back. 1017-Tonga rounded out the session with more beautiful island music at an S9 level (which seems to have become a trend recently).

     Craig and I drove up to the Cliff in the predawn darkness around 1140 (0440 local time) only to find both the Rockwork 4 and 5 turnoffs completely jammed up with RV's, trucks and cars. As such we headed for Rockwork 6, which not only has the highest elevation but also plenty of space. There were several RV's parked there, but we had no trouble setting up our FSL's on the south end.

     Like yesterday the session seemed a little slow to get untracked until around 1250, when the rare 531-More FM got into an S9 snarl with PI, finally pushing the Samoan signal down into the noise for a nice recording (featuring three ID's). The Kiwi floodgates swung wide open around 1300, with the obscure 639-RNZ and 738-Magic showing up with some strength. 594 and 963-Star were also much stronger than usual, and even 576-Star in Hamilton drowned out the Oz big gun 2RN. Craig's 5" Frequent Flyer FSL was doing a great job overall but seemed unable to tune in 531, which was delivering a lot of Kiwi snarl drama this morning. After replacement with the latest-model 3.5" ferrite rod FSL (photo below) he got in on all the 531 action-- presumably including More FM's potent rock music. Overall it was another great session, and convincing proof that enhanced DU-DX propagation isn't limited to Rockwork 4.

531 More FM   Alexandra, NZ   Notoriously rare 2 kW Kiwi station dominant over PI at 1247 with short, choppy ID's at 14 seconds (male), 15 seconds (female) and 3:27 (female). On the west coast this modern rock station has only been heard at the Rockwork Cliff complex  https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/p2et4xa8e602y0ocbzuongxziw7xafrc

567  RNZ National   Wellington, NZ   Potent S9 signal (its best since the old classic tower demolition) with Hindi-accented English conversation at 1320  https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/kbx6rp6asp7v89hb08yhknjfp5cklhre

594  Star   Timaru/ Wanganui, NZ   Best ever signal from these Christian format synchros with vocal music // 657 at 1326  https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/j80d4a3hbktpk5284v2tr26sq284faf2

603  R. Waatea   Auckland, NZ   Beautiful Maori music // 765 at 1317  https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/lf63vi0b6gmoj73rwi772yorgjew4cg3

738  Magic   Christchurch, NZ   Best signal ever (through San Francisco splatter) with "That Will Be the Day" // a weaker 702 at 1256  https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/rwvk30s2izjadez7vrcxbuqdyubxvvf0

756  RNZ National   Auckland, NZ   Amazing signal only 70 miles (and 6 KHz) away from the 50 kW Portland pest KXTG-- solid rock attenuation at its finest  https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/vnlf4hoe57crowj83sm5n2kdnnegw7e8

963  Star   Christchurch, NZ  Best recent signal with vocal music stronger than 657 parallel  https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/bxu7xpnt8zze7oc9x3eg15f9790kf7hi

1017  A3Z   Nuku'alofa, Tonga   More beautiful island music at 1250 from this new Rockwork cliff "Big Gun"  https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/1l1xkyix03o7onoxsmr1wa2tsivqxr8s

73 and Good DX,

Gary DeBock (DXing with Craig Barnes at the Rockwork 6 ocean cliff near Manzanita, OR, USA)

7.5" loopstick CC Skywave SSB + XHDATA D-808 portables +

15" and 17" TSA-unfriendly FSL antennas

This morning's session photos at Rockwork 6 are posted at https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/exthrjjmdfmtphpsl8wvs8sogy3bdqu1  (me) and https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/xigucktp07306guw0fh3e4ep49f4qepb  (Craig)