Re: [IRCA] DXpedition to Ditchley, VA April 22-24, 2018

--- Begin Message ---

Good catches there Bill, especially the South Africans.  729 het has been here when it was too auroral for typical Spain but I've yet to pull audio.  It should be doable since usual 730 domestic pests (mostly Montreal) would be suppressed by a degree of aurora to leave a jumble of weaker southerly stuff such as WLTQ, the Colombian, and the Cuban: none of which is particularly problematic right after WJTO sunset power-down.

Roy Barstow does fairly frequent beach outings.  He picked up the 828 South African in April on a stop at the Chatham (MA) Lighthouse.  I suspect that he will have 729 before I do.  576 is the South African I've heard at the house.  I think 702 could be another one to try.

A lot of people quit DXing in the spring but I have found this season nearly as productive as early autumn for trans-equatorial routes.  The guys on the West Coast turn their attention from Asia to Down Under / South Pacific this time of year, so why shouldn't we in the east be gunning for the deep Africans and South Americans?

I need to get a narrower beam antenna like a DKAZ or Bowtie going here.  If I set this roughly southeast on the forward lobe, I should be putting a solid null at pesty WCRN 830 Worcester, MA leaving HIJB and WEEU as the remaining interference to 828.

Existing antennas (SuperLoops) have decent nulling within maybe a 20-30 degree arc but I could definitely use wider than that.

One antenna that kills 220 to 300 deg. and another that takes out 290 to 10 deg. would be true DX workhorses here.

With the yard layout I might be able to squeak in one "double loop" type antenna of adequate gain while leaving one of the existing SuperLoops.

 Mark Connelly, WA1ION
South Yarmouth, MA