Re: [IRCA] 918 kHz DU English Puzzle

Chuck,

Even for an Ultralight-genre recording, the 918-Cambodia MP3 posted earlier (recorded at 1658 UTC on April 12th) did have some rough edges, primarily for the reasons detailed below. A reworked recording (attempting to compensate for too much recording amplitude) is posted at https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/c9y3nrzcv7fq6bvru7jnut47uh6bmyx4 , but it's much easier to get good audio by setting the recording level properly during the time of reception rather than by going back and attempting to improve things.

Unlike communication receivers, Ultralight radios do not have a line-out recording jack, and the DXer needs to manually set the volume control to a level which results in an MP3 which is not too wimpy, but also not distorted. The digital recorder level (on the Sony ICD-SX68, in my case) also needs to be manually set, but that level is far less critical than the volume control on the Ultralight, which can easily clip off high frequency audio if the DXer is a little too aggressive.

The main problem in the Cook Islands was that transoceanic propagation was far more intense than anything a west coast DXer would normally experience, even on the ocean coasts of Washington or Oregon. The recording levels typically used at such locations needed to be thrown out the window on the Aitutaki beach. Almost every Cook Island MP3 would have been overdriven if a "Grayland" setting had been used at Aitutaki. Adjusting to this new reality was a learning process, and the "lesson" didn't always go smoothly. The 918 MP3 featured a four-station mix (Cambodia, Shandong and two DU English stations), all rising and falling in a random pattern-- a typical arrangement in Aitutaki. Initial recording level was probably set for a moderate-level mix, not for the wacky free-for-all zoo that was the end result. Such is the challenge of Ultralight DXing at an intense-propagation site like the Cook Islands-- but I don't think it will discourage other "Frequent Flyer" DXers from coming here :-)

Gary