Re: [IRCA] [CapeDX] South Africa on 702kHz heard in Maine

--- Begin Message ---
Excellent catch Bill.  I know what you mean about the sweet spot time for those once-in-a-blue-moon receptions.

When I finally got 576 South Africa here at the house, it was after many listens on that frequency with RNE Spain-Canaries running the show.

I will be giving 702 more attention.  A 2100 UTC reception from the previous day just had a fairly solid wall of power-line noise with a small pip in the middle on the spectrum plot: a carrier that needed to be 15 dB stronger to produce any identifiable audio.

Usually on 702 I have two stations.  One is Algeria easily ID'ed by its pip sequence (last one a much higher pitch than preceding ones).  The other is a station that seems to have non-stop Koran.  That could be Iran, as bagged by several people on New England and Canadian shore DXpeditions, or one of several others.

South Africa on 702 would be new here.

So far just 576 at the house and tentative 846 from Granite Pier a few years back.

I'm also looking at 729 which sometimes produces a het when aurora is knocking out the Spain powerhouses such as 774, 855, and 1044.

If eastern Brazil (e.g. 760) and 783 Mauritania are producing good signals around sunset and usual UK stations are not, that would be the recipe for deep Africa DX.  That was the set-up a few weeks back when 909 VOA Botswana topped the channel here with nary a trace of the co-channel BBC Five Live pest.

Mark Connelly, WA1ION
South Yarmouth, MA