Re: [IRCA] Greetings from Florence

--- Begin Message ---
Michael, I will miss your Nova Scotia reports, since they had a lot in common with my DX.

On the other hand, your close-up evaluation of European stations that I hunt on this end will be valuable.  Also news about any USA, Canada, Brazil, etc. stations that do reach your area will be of interest to compare to conditions on those routes going the opposite direction.

You definitely should consider Medium Wave Circle, the UK-based DX club with a fair amount of members in Italy and the rest of Europe.  Facebook has a Medium Wave Circle group as well as NRC and IRCA ones, also "DXing.info" and "I Love AM Radio" groups.  You will be surprised at how many DXers in Italy are on those FB groups.  Many have a decent command of English if your Italian isn't up to par.

Guy's comments on antennas for portable operation are very useful.

This is what I use on beach DXpeditions:
http://www.qsl.net/wa1ion/loop/car_roof_loop.htm

This is broadband since I am typically doing Perseus or Elad spectrum captures for later analysis.

I'm not sure what level of car access you have or if you're dependent on trains, buses, etc. to move about.

Mark Connelly, WA1ION
South Yarmouth, MA, USA

<<
> ?Hi Michael,

?Wow, you've certainly moved a long distance away from your Vancouver BC
home where I visited you in the late 1980s or early 90s! ?The new place in
Firenze sounds very nice from every perspective except potential RFI :^(

?Sadly, I had no success in making the FSL design both broadband *and* as
sensitive/selective as it is when inductively coupled to a receiver for
"single frequency" usage.? I had excellent input and ideas from Gary and
especially Chuck Hutton, but we could not overcome major losses when trying
to make a broadband FSL. The best approach was to remove the capacitor and
connect the FSL's coil ends to a Wellbrook FLG100LN module's wire inputs,
and power the FLG100LN in its normal fashion. Using this component was on
the suggestion of Wellbrook's owner Andy Ikin, based on his knowledge of
the input impedance for the module. Using this setup I was initially
excited to hear (weakly) 738 kHz RFO Tahiti from my inland home of
Puyallup, WA, but later discovered that the "broadband" FSL's sensitivity
was FAR below useful levels.

With an appropriate coupling link to a FSL antenna, it should be possible
to get a low-loss connection between a FSL and the 50 ohms input of a SDR
or other communications receiver. Everett Sharp experimented with coupling
coils on a FSL and he reported that the best results were with a 64:1
impedance transformation ratio (step-down). This will still require the air
variable capacitor be tuned for single-frequency reception.

I personally think it's highly unlikely a FSL antenna can be made
broadband, as the tuned L-C circuit--peaked on one frequency for major
gains in selectivity and sensitivity--is the key to its high performance.

If you can get out to the Tuscan countryside and away from RFI sources, the
Bonito Boni Whip would be a very compact, useful antenna to try with SDRs.
One of my articles on *The SWLing Post* is about the Boni Whip:
https://swling.com/blog/2017/07/portable-powerhouses-comparing-the-bonito-boni-whip-and-wellbrook-ala1530lnp-antennas/

?Good DXing in your new location,

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA?