[IRCA] WKBM 930 Sandwich, IL - Splatter

One of my semi-local stations, WKBM 930, is splattering on
audio peaks. Clearly heard here 20 miles from their site.
 A few days ago I drove out there to prove it is them.  Up
close on car radio the splatter is clearly heard 150khz
above and below 930khz.

I sent them an e-mail this evening.

This brings up another topic of discussion.  It concerns
the quality of the transmitters in use today.  This
WKBM/WBYG/WAUR 930 site has had similar problems in the
past.  This may be the third time it has had problems
since going on the air in 1986.

What is the typical life cycle between overhauls?  10 years?

I frequently drive within 1/4 mile of the 50kw WLS site
and have never detected any splatter.  Better quality
gear?  Or bigger budget?

Tom Jasinski
Joliet, IL