From: IRCA <irca-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Nick Hall-Patch <nhp@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, August 29, 2017 10:31 PM
To: Mailing list for the International Radio Club of America
Subject: Re: [IRCA] Oklahoma TP DX 8/29/17

A good point Gary.

I believe that you have noted that the FSL tends to favor the lower
MW band, where its Q is highest.   Perhaps there might be a more even
match at higher frequencies when using a brute force broadband antenna.

It would be an interesting comparison.

best wishes,

Nick

  At 01:21 30-08-17, d1028gary@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>Hi Nick,
>
><<< Might I disagree Gary? >>>
>
>No disagreement, necessary, Nick!
>
>I think both of us agree that the ALA1530 would boost the CC
>Skywave's MW reception beyond that of the midget stock loopstick.
>Almost any type of external antenna will do that, as long as it is
>designed for MW frequencies. In Richard's situation, however, he
>already has a very effective 8" FSL antenna, which has received DU
>audio from several different Australian stations in Oklahoma. The
>high performance of that antenna is directly related to its razor
>sharp, single-optimized-frequency advantage. Directly connecting a
>small, mismatched broadband antenna in its place is unlikely to
>accomplish anything significant. Otherwise, we would already have
>had multiple reports of DU's being received far inland on the
>ALA1530. In rare situations that might be possible with a $1,000+
>table receiver with a 50 ohm antenna input, but not with a
>mismatched Ultralight radio.
>
>Gary

montreal.kotalampi.com
Your email address: Your name (optional): You may enter a privacy password below. This provides only mild security, but should prevent others from messing with ...

> >Opinions expressed in messages on this mailing list are those of the
> >original contributors and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of
> >the IRCA, its editors, publishing staff, or officers
> >
> >For more information: http://www.ircaonline.org
International Radio Club of America<http://www.ircaonline.org/>
www.ircaonline.org
Web Site for the International Radio Club of America