Re: [IRCA] not TP 30 May Victoria version

--- Begin Message ---
Mark,

Thanks to your referencing the DXploits of Richard Wood in Hawaii, I was aware of the potential for Latin American DX from Hawaii. The best opportunity for that for me, without setting up a one night DXpedition, was probably on the north coast of Kauai. The location I was staying at on the big island was on the west slope of Hualalai at approx. 1500 ft. and several miles inland from the coast. I did have a clear visual path to the Pacific. I will be working on reviewing my logging and recordings from that location soon. As I suspected, that location favored DU propagation, which it did. At that location, I had an unidentified source of locally generated QRM in the direction of northern Asian TP, so even JOUB was not heard there. I also suspected a potential DX rich environment there. In recent times, I have only experienced that on a couple of Pacific NW coastal DXpeditions, the most recent of which at Kalaloch, WA and at Rockaway Beach, OR. Years ago, a couple of local DXers and I ran beverages just east of Denver in the Colorado plains. Colombia, Venezuela, Nicaragua, Bonaire and I think El Salvador were heard. As a Spanish speaker who started DXing when I was growing up in DC, I have long been interested in Latin American DX. As that was my first trip to the islands, there was much I wanted to see and do, as well as get some quality DXing in. I chose to focus on TP and DU DX this trip. The locations I stayed at favored that approach, even more than I anticipated. From my standpoint, you know you're in a DX rich environment when in Kauai Voice of the Strait on 783 is one of the propagation bellweathers I used. On the big island, it was 4QD on 1548. For a guy living in Colorado, that was DX hog heaven! I will certainly work on a more strategic approach for my next visit to the islands. For my part, I accomplished what I set out to do. As always you're insights and contributions to the hobby are much appreciated. A huge Thank You also goes to Gary DeBock. Without his FSL and help with Asian linguistics, the results would have been greatly diminished, I'm sure.

73 and Best of DX

PS. I am now wistfully pining for island DX. Not so much as a single TP carrier can be had in Colorado these days!

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 1, 2017, at 10:54 AM, Mark Connelly via IRCA <irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> <mime-attachment>

--- End Message ---