Re: [IRCA] dx dead spots

--- Begin Message ---
Of course salt water beats any over-land conductivity.  The Atlantic City graveyard channels are easy copy by day here at 275 miles.

The boundary between very poor sandy soil in one direction and seawater in the opposite direction produces "crazy-directional" DX even with non-directional whip antennas.

Multiply that effect with a directional antenna (DKAZ, Beverage, etc.) pointed seaward and you get the wild long-haul loggings associated with DXpedition sites such as Grayland (WA), Rockport (MA), Cappahayden (NL), etc.

Mark Connelly, WA1ION
South Yarmouth, MA

<<
Subject: Re: [IRCA] dx dead spots

Exactly, Billy. 30 is top of the line. See that 30 area in northwest Iowa along the Minnesota border? That's the "Okoboji" area of Iowa, a popular vacation destination from Memorial Day to Labor Day. I used to live in that area. The DX on both AM and FM up there was amazing, easily the best QTH for DXing in which I've ever resided. Of course, it didn't hurt that among my 3 closest AM stations, KILR-1070 (250 watts) and KKOJ-1190 (5000 watts) were both daytimers, and KICD-1240 (1000 watts, of course) was 20 miles to the south. I recently hit 1000 AM stations logged here in South Omaha, taking nearly 6 1/2 years to do so. Had I stayed up in Okoboji instead of moving away in July 1996, it probably would've taken me about 1/4 as long -- if that -- to reach 1000.

73,
Rick Dau

South Omaha, Nebraska EN21af

--- End Message ---