Re: [IRCA] dx dead spots

I recall while heading to the 2011 convention in Colorado Springs being more than mildly astounded at the signal put out by KOAL/750 in Price, UT. I'd stayed overnight in Green River, and while driving the following day through the extended badlands around Moab and on to Grand Junction, CO, it just kept on thumping in on a stock Toyota rx.

I still have to thank Richard for being my chauffeur around The Springs! I wasn't much of a navigator.

Theo

On 3/15/2017 4:29 PM, Mike Sanburn wrote:
I have visited cities like St. George UT and Sedona AZ and it is brick red wherever you look.  For DXing maybe redder means better???

ms

________________________________
From: IRCA <irca-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Richard Allen <richarda@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 2:44 PM
To: Mailing list for the International Radio Club of America
Subject: Re: [IRCA] dx dead spots

I’m fortunate enough to live in an area of excellent ground conductivity.  Ground wave DX into surrounding states is very good at mid-day.  My guess is it has something to do with the Port Silt Loam (Red Dirt) that cover much of Oklahoma.  It’s a significant enough feature of the region to have been named the official state soil.

Richard Allen,
near Perry OK USA.