[IRCA] Backpack DXpeditioning (was: Elad FDM-S2 initial testing)

--- Begin Message ---
 Chuck mentioned more modern Atom-based netbooks that can run Perseus captures at full MW bandwidth successfully.

Presumably there's something out there in a small form factor (under 14 inch screen) that can run full >= 1200 kHz width Elad captures also.  Any info on these will be appreciated.

Tablet with separate keyboard seems like a clunky option since, even though it's two small pieces, it's still two pieces instead of one.  More things to lose, drop, break, get wet etc. out in "the bush."  Touch screen character entry is another possibility (as tablet and smartphone users well know) but do you really want the pop-up on-screen keyboard covering part / most of the receiver graphical interface window you need to see?  Add in factors such as glare, rain, snow, blowing sand / salt, space constraints, adverse temperature conditions, possible need for gloves - maybe a sensitive touch screen device isn't what really you'd want.

My opinion is that if a powerful enough traditional netbook size PC isn't available, I'd still stick with a regular laptop even though the size is larger.

Packing a second charged-up laptop battery isn't a bad idea.

Regarding antennas, some shore sites around here don't have any significant supports.  Rocks and/or sand right near water's edge, beach grass / goldenrod / low shrubs (rugosa rose, bayberry, etc.) right behind that.  Larger shrubs and small trees (beach plum, red cedar, pitch pine) might be found about 100 ft. back.  Often these are not particularly straight or tall because of constant blasting by salt and sand laden winds.

So it's likely that a single collapsible fiberglass or similar non-metallic pole of at least 3m / 10 ft. needs to come along to support the apex of a Delta (triangular) shaped loop.  Tent stakes with bungee cords can be used to tension the ends.  Kaz antenna 10-12 ft. high by 35-40 ft. wide gets you in the game if you provide some amplification (Wellbrook, Lankford, Kiwa, DXE RPA-1, W7IUV, etc.) between the antenna feedpoint and the receiver.

The delta shaped loop can be configured as a bidirectional (figure-of-8) antenna instead of a terminated cardioid one if that suits the situation better.

Anchoring the support pole can be a non-trivial matter, especially in the type of winds found at desirable seashore or mountaintop sites.  Rocky or sandy ground instead of sod doesn't help.  A patio umbrella stand certainly works but those puppies are usually at least 10 kg / 22 lb.  How far would you want to hike with that?  Guy ropes and tent stakes might be easier.  Still, if winds are high, you may be limited to wires on the ground.

Vehicular-based DXpeditioning is an easier proposition.  The 2m x 2m car roof loop has worked well for me on beach DXpeditions for many years.

http://www.qsl.net/wa1ion/loop/car_roof_loop.htm

Mark Connelly, WA1ION
South Yarmouth, MA