From: IRCA <irca-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Les Rayburn <les@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, January 7, 2017 1:34 PM
To: Patrick Martin
Cc: National Radio Club NRC am@nrcdxas_org; IRCA Radio List - irca@hard-core-dx_com
Subject: Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] RIP DX Tests (was: Re: Rackley on Synchronous AM Boosters)

Patrick,

Always good to hear your sage input with these types of discussions, my friend.

These concerns were raised almost a decade ago when we first started the process. Our response then was simple—if the station owner, chief engineer, or other person of authority authorizes the CPC Chairman to act as their “QSL Manager” then those QSL’s carry the full weight and authority of the station.

As you point out, this process is common in amateur radio circles. And several DX’ers have acted as QSL Managers for individual stations for years.

Given that the CPC Chairman often is a more reliable judge of valid reception than even a Chief Engineer might be (given their knowledge of distant reception) then I personally find these types of QSL’s to be very valid.

As other have expressed. Ultimately, someone who cheats at a hobby activity, with no reward other than recognition of peers, then they cheat only themselves.

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
121 Mayfair Park
Maylene, AL
EM63nf

Member WTFDA, IRCA, NRC. Former CPC Chairman for NRC & IRCA.

Elad FDM-S2 SDR, AirSpy SDR, Quantum Phaser, Wellbrook ALA1530 Loop, Wellbrook Flag, Clifton Labs Active Whip.

> On Jan 7, 2017, at 2:44 PM, Patrick Martin <mwdxer1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Les,
>
> I do like that idea. We have done that in the past with great results.
> My only question, if we did that on all DX Tests, are the QSL's the
> CPC puts out considered legit? I have always wondered about that. I do
> know that the Hams have had QSL Bureaus for years. There doesn't seem
> to be any issue with them. Too bad there isn't a DXer in most markets
> that could take over the duties of all QSLing AM or FM. That would
> sure change things a lot. But we do not have the resources for that.
>
> Patrick
>
> On 1/7/17, Les Rayburn <les@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> One approach that has been successful in the past is to have the CPC offer
>> to handle all verification and QSL duties on behalf of the station. This
>> proved to be very successful in obtaining DX Tests simply because it removed
>> the burden from the station.
>>
>> We further would take the lead on producing test materials (CW Morse Code
>> ID’s, sweep tones, phonetic voice identifications, etc.) and providing that
>> as an MP3 file, or on a CD.
>>
>> At the end of the test, the CPC would verify reception reports and send out
>> QSL’s. The station personnel received a detailed report showing all
>> receptions (often plotted on a map using Google Earth)
>>
>> The CPC Chairman is often more familiar with DXing, and better able to judge
>> any questionable reception.
>>
>> This approach allowed us to obtain DX Tests for a number of smaller
>> stations, with limited resources. Another tactic we employed as to produce
>> :60 long “Test Material” that could be run by a station during the overnight
>> hours at the TOH as their ID. No change in transmitter power, pattern,
>> etc…just distinctive test material that could cut through clutter.
>>
>> All that was required was for the station to insert the material into their
>> inventory. These often ran for weeks at a time during the overnight hours.
>> These too resulted in a lot of “new ones” going into the logs.
>>
>> I’m sure there are other innovative approaches that could be successful as
>> well. The key is to acknowledge that times change. We have to change our
>> tactics as hobbyists if we want to remain successful.
>>

>> 73,
>>
>> Les Rayburn, N1LF
>> 121 Mayfair Park
>> Maylene, AL
>> EM63nf
>>
>> Member WTFDA, IRCA, NRC. Former CPC Chairman for NRC & IRCA.
>>
>> Elad FDM-S2 SDR, AirSpy SDR, Quantum Phaser, Wellbrook ALA1530 Loop,
>> Wellbrook Flag, Clifton Labs Active Whip.
>>

>>> On Jan 7, 2017, at 2:21 PM, Patrick Martin <mwdxer1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> Rick,
>>>
>>> Anytime people could always cheat. There were reports from back in the
>>> 50s with faux reports. I like sending a cassette, reel to reel tape,
>>> or now CD of what I heard so the CE could tell the reception quality
> [...]
[http://nrcdxas.org/s_newnrc.jpg]<http://www.nrcdxas.org/>

National Radio Club -World's Largest & Oldest MW DX Club<http://www.nrcdxas.org/>
www.nrcdxas.org
Our magazine, DX News (DXN), is a must for the serious or casual Medium Wave DX'er and is only available through the National Radio Club. Subscribing to the DX News ...

International Radio Club of America<http://www.ircaonline.org/>
www.ircaonline.org
Web Site for the International Radio Club of America