From: IRCA <irca-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Chris Kadlec <beaglebass@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, December 29, 2016 7:15 AM
To: irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [IRCA] AFN AM Frequencies

Patrick,

I think they're correct about Korea anyway. Japan could be another story. I
wholly believe that AFN on 1440 Daegu is running a full 5kw. They upgraded
their equipment back in May when they moved from the very-occupied 1080
frequency (Seoul was on there jamming as well as MBC Yeosu and 1500kw Haeju
just outside of metro Seoul and the list goes on) and when they came on
1440, they had a very good signal, far, far better than the 10 and 20kw
stations half the distance from Seoul that are inaudible, many having gone
to much lower power due to lack of listeners, as is the Korean norm these
days for non-government (KBS) stations.

1575 is a regular in Seoul and comes in like a 1kw station once VOA turns
off. It wouldn't compare to the other Japanese 5kw stations that have clear
signals from down there. I've never heard 810 before because of locals and
Hangzhou is 150kw. 648 is certainly 10kw. I could hear that regularly in
Seoul from nearly 800 miles out.

And the document mentions authorized power of course, not actual. 3kw on the
USAG Humphreys' FM signal ain't happening. I lived 7 miles from that tower
which bleeds like mad into the adjacent 88.5 Osan 8 miles from the
Humphreys' tower on 88.3. 88.3 isn't running 3kw but the standard 50w or so,
and they both get out a good 40 miles at that. But you take the info you can
get!!

-Chris Kadlec
 Seoul AM Radio Listening Guide

> Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2016 06:15:37 +0000
> From: Patrick Martin <mwdxer@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [IRCA] AFN AM Frequencies
>
> DX friends in Korea tell me that none of the Korean  AFN stations are
> running a full 5 KW, (As some are listed),as they just do not have that
> good a signal. The towers are short and they just do not have much
> coverage. I tried for years to nab one, but no luck here as yet. One Dxer
> said some years back, that he never heard any when he was in Japan. Their
> ground system probably leaves a lot to be desired. I have heard AFN-810,
> 648, and 1575 (Japan), as well as  AFTRS 1550 (Now 810) and several AFRTS
> outlets from Taiwan in the 60s (1560-1570).
>

> Patrick
>

> Patrick Martin Seaside OR KGED QSL Manager

International Radio Club of America<http://www.ircaonline.org/>
www.ircaonline.org
Web Site for the International Radio Club of America