From: "Chris Kadlec" <beaglebass@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sunday, December 4, 2016 12:39:38 PM
Subject: Re: [IRCA] Puyallup, WA Ultralight TP's for 12-3

Gary, you may have better audio on that 1035 frequency than can be heard in
Korea if you can get one station in well with just echoes in the background.

This is how 1035 sounds locally from Seoul, and by locally, I mean it's a
skywave local, the only station(s) on the frequency. The main station is
from Dalian (50kw), 303 miles across the water. The rest are just
lower-power CNR-1 repeaters. But as you can hear from the clip, it's
basically unlistenable as a local aside from being right in Dalian itself or
near one of the repeaters.

CNR-1 does a crappy job with synching as compared to Korean and Japanese
stations (Japanese ones are especially superb with that). Plus, CNR goes off
the air at 1405 UTC mid-sentence every night. They could improve. But I
could say the same about some of the other networks in Shandong, Liaoning,
and Jilin. Some are downright creepy sounding.

http://www.beaglebass.com/dx/external/CNR_1_1035_Dalian.MP3

And a good example of a listenable echo signal in a hilarious sort of way
(one station is a few *seconds* behind). This is the Sound of the Great
Northern Wilderness network on 1476 (Heilongjiang / Harbin-based //873, a
station that broadcasts Chinese half the time and Korean - only
half-understandable by South Koreans as it's a North Korean dialect used up
there - the remainder of the time). This clip is a radio story in Korean.
Echo-y to say the least.

http://www.beaglebass.com/dx/external/Sound_of_the_Great_Northern_Wilderness_1.MP3

-Chris Kadlec
Seoul AM Listening Guide

> Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2016 00:01:50 +0000 (UTC)
> From: d1028gary@xxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [IRCA] Puyallup, WA Ultralight TP's for 12-3

levels. About the only Chinese stations that went against the trend were the
1035-CNR1 synchros, with their distinctive echoes slightly stronger this
morning. The Japanese big guns