Re: [IRCA] Too cold!

I remember in the distant past.... in the 80's I expect... with fellow
CIDX'ers Larry Gadallah and Brian Pimblett, freezing our butts (and most
other extremities) in an unheated barn in -30 something central Alberta in
midwinter chasing mw dx.  Ah, but we had a tent inside the barn - oh that
helped.  If anything it had a negative "R" factor.  Choking on fumes from
the catalytic tent heater and gnawing on frozen bologna sandwiches....
those were the days.  We were young and.... enthused... I guess.

Brian's FRG-7 drifted so far off in the cold that the SSB oscillators took
the signal way out the passband.  Larry and I both had Drake R-7's which
fared some better.  But they all needed channel lock pliers to turn the
tuning knob!

If only the Perseus and Netbooks had been invented back then, remote
recording and the like would have made life so much easier.

73 Don
VE6JY